Electroencephalogram (EEG) is used to as a diagnostic tool to monitor seizure activity and identify brain wave abnormalities, which can identify patients predisposed to a higher risk of seizures. It also serves as a baseline for overall brain function. This procedure is performed in the office by a technician and is often indicated for any episode of loss of consciousness, confusional state, or convulsive seizure.
We ask that you kindly follow these pre-test instructions:
- Have clean dry hair, SHAMPOO ONLY (no conditioner, oils or hair styling products)
- Remove any and all hair extensions, including wigs, hair pieces, glue, or clips
- Undo braided hair
What to expect for the EEG Exam:
A technologist will place 21-23 small disc electrodes on your scalp with adhesive paste. You will be asked to lie quietly or sleep if possible on a bed while the equipment is connected to the electrodes recording your brain electrical activity. You might be asked to look at a flashing light or to breathe rapidly (hyperventilate). This is a painless process. Bring a scarf or hat as you will have residue paste. It can be easily washed out with soap and water.
- Shower the night before or morning before testing
- Do not apply any lotions, oils, or perfumes on legs, feet, hands or arms
- Leg studies: Bring/wear shorts or loose pants that can be pulled above the knee
- Arm studies: Wear a short sleeve shirt that can be raised up to shoulder level (Deodorant is OK)
- Be prompt
If you will be more than 15 minutes late, please contact our office to be rescheduled. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please contact our office as soon as possible and no later than 24 hours.